The second annual CivicSpark Case Competition will be taking place on Saturday, March 10th, 2018 and will be focusing on one case: Environmental Sustainability. The competition is open to all undergraduate students studying within the GTHA. As a participant, you will:
- Register for the Case Competition which includes two steps:
- 1. Form a team of three or four individuals and register as a team. Your registration will be confirmed via e-mail and your team name and school published on the website.
- 2. Each of your team members will have 48 hours to pay the registration fee. $20 by the early bird deadline (Friday, February 9) and $30 by the regular deadline (Tuesday, February 13). Upon the attendance of the competition, each member will be refunded 50% of their registration fee.
- Be given a case three weeks in advance of the event (Thursday, February 15th, 2018).
- You and your team will analyze the case and prepare a 10 minute presentation for a panel of three judges that includes an innovative and tangible solution to your issue.
- Submit all the work you will be using during the presentation on Saturday, March 7th, 2018 by 12:00PM EST.
- On the day of, do your best! During your down time, there will be a variety of workshops, community groups, and resources for you to learn about and connect with.
Exciting right? We will be accepting 10 teams this year so sign up quick!
How does the day look?
The agenda will be sent out to participants a week before the event and will be given hard copies on the day of!
The top two winners of the Affordable Housing case will face head on in a surprise case to determine the ultimate champion of the universe, ergh, I mean the Competition! They will both be given the same case and 30 minutes to prepare a presentation that will be given to all six judges and one surprise judge.
"I've never even participated in a Case Competition before."
Perfect! You're who we're looking for! This entire Case Competition was designed for students who have never participated in one before. We will be hosting an "Ace the Case" event on Monday, February 26, 2018 to provide some tips and tricks for all those interested! This is a great chance to meet with other participants with diverse ideas and interesting backgrounds!
"What's the prize?"
The winning team will not only receive CAD 200 prize money from Civicaction Leadership Foundation but will also have the chance to participate in an informational interview with decision makers across the GTHA’s public, private, and non-profit sectors. Your team will earn a place among CivicAction's Emerging Leaders Network, comprised of managers, directors, and early executives from organizations such as RBC, Accenture, George Brown College, Infrastructure Ontario, KPMG, Region of Peel, the Institute for Canadian Citizenship, IBM, TD Bank Group, and the United Way.
"How long do I have to register?"
Registration closes Thursday, February 15, 2018 by 11:59PM EST.
"What if one of my team members does not pay within 48 hours?"
Unfortunately if one of your team members does not pay within 48 hours, your whole team will give up its spot. Each member who has paid the registration fee will be refunded.
"We changed our mind and want to back out from the competition, is that possible?"
Of course! Any team that notifies us prior to the regular deadline that they wish to rescind their registration will be refunded their total registration fee. However, any team that notifies us after the regular deadline will not be refunded.
"Any last tips?"
The more diverse programs of study in your team, the better. Good luck!